No one was injured in either incident, which indicates emergency evacuation procedures worked. Fires are classified as serious incidents and require companies to have strong fire preparedness plans in place.
YOUR Construction Safety Association of Manitoba has prepared a new toolbox talk on fire safety and extinguishers to help prevent construction fires and to ensure your employees can safely respond if a fire does occur on YOUR site.
Here are some key highlights:
- Plan for an initial attack on fire, i.e. fire extinguishers.
- Keep fire extinguishers within arm's reach when completing hot work.
- Keep tarps and combustible/flammable materials away from heaters and hot work.
- Have a system in place to communicate when there is an emergency.
- Practice annual fire drills and frequent fire extinguisher inspection.
- Appropriately train workers in the use of fire extinguishers.
|You can find the full toolbox talk here.|
If you have any questions or would like any additional resources or consultation for the hazards on YOUR jobsite, speak to a CSAM safety advisor. Call 204-775-3171 in Winnipeg or 204-728-3456 in Brandon.