practical solutions
for a safer workplace

Safety Solutions: Frequently Asked Questions

Here is where you can browse answers to many commonly asked safety-related questions. If you have a question, we probably have your answer. If we don’t have it, you can ask us your construction-related question using the form below and we’ll do our best to give you a helpful answer.

How often must WHMIS training be reviewed with employees?

Workplace Safety and Health Legislation places the onus on each employer to ensure all employees who work with or within the proximity of controlled products are trained in WHMIS. Legislation also requires employers to review their program annually.

When are hard hats required on a construction site?

Injuries may result from objects falling from above, but can also occur from side, front or rear impact. Due to these risks, protective head wear is required at all times on a construction project site.

Can I train my own employees in inspection and use of fall protection?

Workplace safety and health legislation requires all safety training to be conducted by a “competent person.” Competency can be determined based on previous knowledge, training or experience. If the employer deems an employee to be a competent trainer, fall protection training may be delivered in-house. The training should include both theory and practical components and a test.

When is a prime contractor designation required at a construction project site?

There must be a designated prime contractor for a construction project if more than one employer or self-employed person is involved in work at the construction project site at the same time. This designation should be made in writing.

How does my company receive a safety program registration number?

Senior Management must attend the Principles of Safety Management (COR™/SECOR™) course. Upon completion, your company will receive a letter with your safety program registration number.

What is “Return to Work” and do I need it?

The Return to Work (RTW) Program is intended to provide injured workers who are unable to perform their normal duties with alternative or modified work. RTW accommodates an injured worker by safely transitioning them back into the workplace as quickly as possible. An effective RTW program is hugely important in both helping a worker recover and to manage a company’s WCB costs.

Does the CSAM online training in H2S suffice for working in the oilfields in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta?

This specific type of training depends on the specific employer requirements. Generally, the H2S online training course offered though our website is an awareness course only and is most often used as a refresher. If you require H2S training immediately, contact our office to receive a list of independent H2S trainers in Manitoba.

How often must toolbox talks be held at a construction project?

Section 44(3) of the Workplace Safety and Health Act requires each employer with five or more workers at a construction site to provide safety education or toolbox talks every two weeks for 30 minutes. The generally accepted practice is to conduct weekly toolbox talks for 15 minutes. CSAM has a Toolbox Talk Booklet with 68 different topics available, or you can download samples at our Downloads page.

What is the difference between COR™ and SECOR™?

Both COR™ (Certificate of Recognition) and SECOR™ (Small Employer Certificate of Recognition) provide official safety program accreditation that requires companies to meet training and practical requirements. The main reason for going with COR™ is that it’s nationally recognized. Both COR™ and SECOR™ are recognized by the WSH Division and WCB – either one are also acceptable for the majority of institutions. COR™ and SECOR™ are also eligible for WCB’s Prevention Rebate Program. Click HERE to see a breakdown of the requirements and costs for COR™ and SECOR™ Certification.

We are a COR™ Certified company and we work as a sub-trade on almost every job. We are often hired by general contractors who are not COR™ Certified, and they don’t ask for any documentation. What do we do?

If the prime contractor does not have a system in place to share required information, they are actually in violation of the Workplace Safety and Health Act. If appropriate, you would be well served to advise them of their legal responsibilities and what documentation you plan to share with them.

How do I know if I am eligible to write the CCA Gold Seal Construction Safety Coordinator exam?

An application form and $300 fee must be sent to your local construction association to determine eligibility. All applicants who possess a current National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO™) designation or Canadian equivalent and can demonstrate five years construction site safety experience are automatically eligible to write the national examination. Please note that only NCSO™ designations issued by a provincial or territorial Construction Safety Association qualify for this automatic eligibility.

Provincial or territorial NCSO™ designation qualifies as three years of construction site safety experience. Applicants must ensure they complete the project list on the application form to verify an additional two years of construction site safety experience. For further information and to view the application form, please visit the Canadian Construction Association website directly through their Gold Seal Certification program.

Can’t find your answer?

Send us your question
Translate »